It’s now been one month or so since we published the original Inceptionism blog post and the associated gallery of images. Two weeks later we also published the deepdream source code. Since then I’ve been enjoying watching people come up with really fabulous derivatives, extensions and adaptations. Time to take a quick survey.
Installing Caffe is really quite tricky, especially on Macs so quickly several services popped up which allow anyone to post pictures and deepdreamify them:
- and docker images
- DeepDreamer MacOS App
Derivatives / Exploration
This whole thing went viral and of course everyone was now making their favorite pictures or most hated politians into deepdreams. But cutting through the kitsch several folks went deeper (no pun intended) and made some interesting forays:
- Comparisons of BVLC, MIT Places and CompCars
- Fantastic single-class visualizations by Audun m. Øygard
- Systematic exploration by @quasimondo
- Side-by-side comparisons of different networks by Ville-Matias Heikkilä
- Exploring layer by layer
- Exploring deepzooms layer by layer
- DeepDreamAnimator by @samim who made some great videos.
- Surreal art by C.M. Kosemen
- Interesting thoughts and experiments by Memo Akten
- DeepDream typeset - Gorgeous!
And finally folks started also training novel networks too on new data sets, which is really the way to get more out of DeepDream. Some really nice work here by Josh Nimoy
- James “Pouff” Roberts video1
- James “Pouff” Roberts video2
- The band Years & Years: Music video
- Video work by Gene Kogan